Y2K Utilities

From: <campbell_white_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 14:03:26 GMT

Some helpful, free Y2K utilities (oldies but goodies) are available in the "Archives" section of the PL/SQL Pipeline. The PL/SQL Pipeline is a free internet community for PL/SQL Developers worldwide. It is hosted by PL/SQL author Steven Feuerstein and sponsored by RevealNet. http://www.revealnet.com/pipeline.htm

Fix Year 2000 Issues
By Steven Feuerstein

When it comes to the Year 2000 bug, some of the thorniest problems for PL/SQL developers arise when you write or encounter code like this:

my_date := TO_DATE (my_string, 'MM/DD/YY');

In other words, you've got a hard-coded two-digit year number. This month's archive offers some techniques you can use to simultaneously avoid the two-digit year problem and also improve the string-date conversion capabilities of your systems. This zip contains two files:

Year2k.doc - Word95 format article on dealing with Year 2000 issues within PL/SQL programs. Originally published in July 1997 SELECT Magazine.

datemgr.spp - Package that demonstrates how you can design a function to convert just about ANY string to a date, and bypass many Year 2000 problems.
Format: pkzipped file, 27K.

NEWS FROM REVEALNET
* Quest Software Integrates PL/Formatter with SQL Navigator
  http://www.revealnet.com/rev_quest.htm
* PCWEEK Rates PL/Generator "Most Potent PL/SQL Code Generator"
  http://www.revealnet.com/generator.htm

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Oct 29 1999 - 16:03:26 CEST

Original text of this message