Developer 2000 and 8.0.4 Install Problem

From: canoewho <vireality_at_iprimus.ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 02:28:56 GMT

[Quoted] [Quoted] I've installed Oracle 8.0.4 and verified that the DB works OK. I can connect with the sqlplus client on NT to Oracle 8 using the ANDREW_DB alias [Quoted] I created using the Net80 Admin tool. The Net80/tnsnames.ora entry looks like...
ANDREW_DB.WORLD =
  (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = NMP)(SERVER = ANDREW)(PIPE = ORAPIPE))
(CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL))

  )

I installed Developer 2000 1.6.1 into the ORACLE_HOME 8.0.4 directory. I could not get the forms designer to connect to the database. I noticed in the release notes later that you are not supposed to install both into the same ORACLE_HOME. It tells you to...
Install DB
Install Developer 2000
Reinstall Required Support files

I tried doing it this way but there is some service running core40.dll that [Quoted] prevents you from refreshing the support files and this is in spite of shutting down all the Oracle services that are running.

I next tried installing into a new Oracle_HOME but all that happened is the [Quoted] 8.0.4 software becomes disabled.

Is there a way to run developer and the db from two distinct oracle homes on [Quoted] the same NT box? Does this version of Developer 2000 work at all with this [Quoted] version of the database. It seems as if Oracle has switched to a new [Quoted] version of sql*net - Net80 but the tools are using something older. If this [Quoted] is true then they should be shot. I have never had difficulties like this [Quoted] installing supposedly canned software.

Any advice appreciated
There is another tnsnames.ora in a Network directory in ORACLE_HOME. The other entry that is there is
ANDREW.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =