Re: Obtaining call stack list in PL/SQL

From: Jason Judge <jason.judge_at_virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 00:53:57 +0100

[Quoted] If your developer needs to revisit every package and procedure to make use of dbms_utility.format_error_stack then he has taken a design decision at an [Quoted] early stage that has resulted in this problem - I don't see any simple way around this.

Since Oracle allows errors to propagate outwards to enclosing blocks, this feature can be made use of by allowing the errors to do just that and not to [Quoted] try to catch them all in 'when others' triggers all over the shop. A single [Quoted] 'when others' can catch the full stack at the top-most level - whether it be [Quoted] a Form, Pro*C module or PL/SQL - and display the message in an appropriate fashion. It can also pick out text from the stack and translate it into a business message for the user. I have used this technique very successful on [Quoted] a number of projects and keep well clear of 'when others' if errors should simply to allowed to propagate upwards to a general error handling routine.

[Quoted] I hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Jason Judge Received on Wed Oct 27 1999 - 01:53:57 CEST

Original text of this message