Re: SQL Puzzle: Selecting top highest paid workers

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 20:54:03 GMT

[Quoted] On Sun, 24 Oct 1999 10:37:21 -0400, "Van Messner" <vmessner_at_netaxis.com> wrote:

> I don't have a version 7 or 8 here to play with but I'm surprised. What
>has Oracle changed in version 8i in terms of basic SQL queries? I can
>understand different optimizations and so on, but I hadn't heard that they'd
>altered what was acceptable in plain old SQL.
>
>Van

Thomas pointed out one of the new SQL features in 8i (ORDER BY inside a view). However you did not use this kind of construct in your query, so this is not where you query would fail in pre-8i releases.

[Quoted] You used another new 8i SQL feature that was not allowed in earlier release: the use of a select clause in a column list:

SELECT col1, col2,
  (SELECT colx FROM ... WHERE ...) -- this is only allowed in 8i FROM ... HTH,
Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle DBA (7.3 & 8.0 OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Sun Oct 24 1999 - 22:54:03 CEST

Original text of this message