Re: What tool for The Hamburger Stand solution?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 13:12:49 +0800

Bill wrote:

> Larry Ellison often uses the "hamburger stand" as an example of how not to
> devise a database solution. I think the example refers to Burger King
> installing a Windows NT server and MS-SQL in to each store, rather than
> using a more connected solution based on Oracle. I was curious which of
> the Oracle tools would be best for building a distributed application that
> would serve the "burger stand" example.
>
> I like the idea of "thin-client" computing where the application comes down
> the "pipe" as either HTML or Java, with the whole thing being powered by an
> Oracle database and application-servers. Oracle has several tools available
> for doing this, but I was curious which were the right ones.
>
> For example, does Larry think the burger-stands should be running Netscape
> and using an HTML-based thin-client solution running off a website and
> remote 8i database? Or a HTML-based thin-clients being driven by an
> application server? Or Java programs accessing a remote 8i database? Or a
> Developer2000 application running on Windows NT?
>
> I was going to develop an application similar to the "burger stand" example,
> and had planned on doing it as a client-server project with VB6 or Delphi5.
> Multi-location installations would benefit from a centralized database, so I
> am now exploring Oracle's tools. Being able to drive several sites off of
> one database and perhaps local app-servers would work, or better yet - have
> local databases that automatically stayed in sync with eachother (or a
> central server). I'd like customers sites to be able to function
> independently in case of down lines, but otherwise stay in sync to be able
> to answer Larry's "How many burgers did I sell today question?".
>
> Any suggestions? I'm a newby to Oracle's tools, but Larry seems to have
> embraced a model that I agree with.
>
> - Bill

You install a local copy of Oracle at each stand (giving the resiliency against other sites being offline), you then install replication at each site so that you can query the other nodes even when they are offline...

... and then you sit and wonder why replication is just so damn slow (Ooops - didn't mean to include that bit....)

Cheers

Connor McDonald
"These views mine, no-one elses etc etc"
connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue."