Re: SQL PUZZLE: selecting top 50 salaries in a table

From: Dave Waterworth <pscdaw_at_ihug.com.au>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 10:09:18 +1000

Actually thinking about what you want, I think it should be

SELECT * FROM (SELECT SALARY,COUNT(*) FROM ... GROUP BY SALARY ORDER BY SALARY DESC) WHERE ROWNUM < 51;

The inner query returns a row for every distinct salary in the table, the outer query picks the higest fifty. My original query would have returned duplicates (Assuming there are mutliple records with same salary which would seem reasonable)

Any Help.