Re: forms libraries...

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 05:05:06 GMT

In article <7unj7l$nda$1_at_autumn.news.rcn.net>, Isaias Gutierrez <igutierr_at_mail.sdsu.edu> wrote:

> I'm using forms 4.5 in Developer 2000. We currently have 2
> libraries that are attached to most of our forms (on the file side).
> I'm trying to see if I can add a function to one of the libraries.
> The problem is this: I'm trying to make a copy of the library file
> and work on it locally on my hard drive without affecting the
> production version. From what I have seen the libraries are
> attached with the path removed. From reading the documentation, it
> seems that for the libraries, when the path is removed, the form
> looks at the forms45_path or Oracle_Path registry variables. Is
> there a way to ensure that the form always grabs the version of the
> library that is in the shortcut's working directory path (shortcuts
> are set up in Windows 95 to either run the production version of the
> forms or test or even local copies)? Also, I don't want to have to
> re-attach the libraries on every form that it's attached to when I
> make the change. Is there a way to do that? Thanx. --Isaias

I am not certain what you are asking. But I hope this helps:

To make changes to the library, you make a local copy, put it in the same directory that your PC uses for fmx files. Work on the function in the library, and be sure that you do a compile on the library before you save it. When you save it, BE SURE you don't have a Runforms session running on your pc that is using the library. You cannot save the library, and if you also have a form open in the Forms Designer, it will lose it's library link (this is really weird).

When you run your form to test the library, it will use the library in the shortcut path. When you install the library into production, you can ONLY do that when there are no forms running which have the old version attached. When the production forms are started after installation, they will automatically attach the new version (you have deleted the old version). The forms do NOT need to be recompiled if you have just added a new function to the library, or even changed some code in an existing module. However, if you change the number, order, or types of parameters in any existing module, then all forms using that module will need to be recompiled.

HTH,
Steve Cosner
SIMS/R CASA Project, Fresno

http://members.aol.com/stevec5088
Downloadable Quick Access utility form: Display and update any table. Received on Fri Oct 22 1999 - 07:05:06 CEST

Original text of this message