SQL Updates utilizing Ampersands

From: <kaldi1_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 19:48:01 GMT

Hi:

[Quoted] [Quoted] I am having problems while using sqlplus to update an oracle database.

I would like to update a field with a value that has an ampersand in it, but I am receivig errors.
My question is, is there an escape character that will wrap the ampersand so that it will be interpreted literally and if so, what is the syntax?

Example
update field_name from table_name set table_name='record_name & Johnson' where field_name='record_name';

Every time I execute such a statement, I am prompted to enter the value for Johnson.

TIA, Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Oct 21 1999 - 21:48:01 CEST

Original text of this message