Re: Powerbuilder as data analysis tool

From: Joe Moore <moorejo_at_it.postoffice.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:08:11 +0100

Nolan try using TOAD (TOOL FOR ORACLE APPLICATION DEVELOPERS) - it is FREE. There are 2 versions -
the deluxe version from www.quest.com Quest Software (with SQLab Tuner etc.) on 30 day trial (I'll leave you to work out logistics of use if you don't buy) -and- the still available more basic (but GOOD) shareware version from www.toadsoft.com .

WHAT IS TOAD?? : TOAD is an acronym for Tool for Oracle Application Development. TOAD was begun in 1995 (by a good altruistic chap in the USA) as a personal development aid and has grown to be used daily by many thousands of developers. There are similar tools on the market, but none can better TOAD's simple developer oriented interface, the author's attention to users.

So, what you must remember when evaluating TOAD or while using TOAD is that TOAD is first and foremost a developer's aid. The interface is simple by design. The features are either what I personally want in an Oracle tool or what TOAD users have requested.

TOAD is much better than SQL*Plus for doing the sort of things you're doing below and unlike BusinessObjects etc. is FREE, if you can't afford the OLAP tools. Since Win says Seagate Analysis is FREE right now - why not try that too!
HTH Joe