Passing tablename as parameter

From: Chris Jordan <mail_at_mailer.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 06:46:18 -0400

Hi,

[Quoted] In my when-new-block trigger, I pass to a procedure the name of my table as a varchar2. In the procedure
, I want the procedure to use the string as the table name, but it is not letting me do that saying that my
passed string is not a tablename (it isn't, its the variable that CONTAINS the tablename). Here's what I am doing
In the triger:
DECLARE
strvendor varchar2;
begin

            FindVendorName(strvendor);
END; In the procedure FindVendorName (strvendor varchar2) return varchar2 IS begin

    select vendorname into :current.company from strvendor; --it is saying strvendor is not tablename

    return :current.company;
end;

How can I pass the name of a table, column etc. as parameters that in the called procedure are evaluated
first for their value and then processed in the SQL statement?

Thanks. Received on Thu Oct 21 1999 - 12:46:18 CEST

Original text of this message