Re: Real time datawarehouse: Asynchronous message queueing?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 19:57:59 +0800

Vikas Agnihotri wrote:

> acceptable if the DW is to be of any value to the business.
>
> The logical solution seems to have the OLTP system "push" transaction
> details as they occur, either directly to the DW or to a staging area.
> Of course, to minimally disrupt the OLTP system, this "push" has to be
> asynchronous in nature.
>
> If both the OLTP and DW use Oracle RDBMS, has anyone used Oracle's
> message queueing features for this kind of use?
>
> How easy are they to use?
> Performance?
> Volume limitations on message size, etc?
> ACID test?
> Recovery from premature termination, receiving database not up, etc,
> etc. A whole bunch of error conditions...How does Oracle deal with them?
>
> Finally, how does Oracle's message queueing compare to the commercially
> available dedicated "middleware" queueing products out there like, say,
> IBM's MQ Series.
>
> Any comments, experiences appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Vikas
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

We didn't use messaging, but used snapshot logs to generate the information we wanted. As of Oracle 8, they use internal triggers (as opposed to pl/sql defined ones) and thus run a lot faster. We then used a combination of snapshots plus our own PL/SQL code to process the logs to obtain the information we wanted.

HTH

Connor McDonald
"These views mine, no-one elses etc etc"
connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue."