Re: help - Performance problem

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 07:07:47 GMT

On Sat, 16 Oct 1999 23:44:25 +0100, "Julio Gosmaalho" <jgosmaalho_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi. I have in a call center a solution with a oracle database 7.3.
>When the desktop app. finishes in the clients, there are some data thats
>comitted in certain tables of the db.
>Only when this occurs it takes a long time (sometimes 1 minute !!!!) to
>write the data in the db.
>It seems a performance problem of the database or of the structure of the
>tables ?
>How can i trace by table (or by session) and what conclusions can I reach ?
>
>Thanks,
>
>JG

This rather seems to be a generic server tuning issue, especially with respect to DBWR and LGWR. I would run the checktuning script of David Sisk first (http://www.ipass.net/~davesisk/oont.htm). If you have redo log writer problems, it will show those. You could also with a dba-privileged user look in v$loghist to see how often switches occur (one record is one switch).
To isolate the problem session use a generic query like select sid, serial#, program
from v$session
where type = 'USER'
and from there on either trace them
with dbms_system.set_sql_trace_in_session(sid, serial#, true) or look at their sesson statistics in v$sesstat or there open cursors in v$open_cursors.

Hope to have provided enough pointers for the time being,

regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sun Oct 17 1999 - 09:07:47 CEST

Original text of this message