Re: PowerBuilder v. Oracle Developer

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 13:27:11 -0400

    I know that "C" programmers moving to RDBMS often prefer Powerbuilder because they feel that they have more control over the Database Engine. My opinion is that they are kidding themselves by fighting the RDBMS paradigm.

    "C" (and its derivatives) are 3GL languages which require the programmer to implement the process required to solve the problem. SQL is a 4GL which works best when the programmer describes the problem and lets the RDBMS implement the process. I know it is difficult for a 3GL programmer to learn to let go and yield control to the RDBMS, but it results in improved performance and reduced maintenance over the life of the project.

    My own feeling is -- Don't fight the paradigm!

regards
jerry gitomer

Russell Davis wrote in message
<7u7enk$89a$1_at_bgtnsc01.worldnet.att.net>...
>From my initial explorations of Oracle Tools it seems that
Oracle is a
>superior development platform for relatively simple high
transaction volume
>applications and DSS/OLAP applications. PowerBuilder may be a
superior
>development platform for complex business transactions where an
extreme
>degree of program control is needed to achieve transaction
accuracy and