Re: Forms 4.5 - Base table blocks

From: Frank van Bortel <f.van.bortel_at_vnl.nl>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 10:50:30 -0700

Paul Hancock wrote:

> Does anyone know how to order the data in a base table block using a join on
> another table
>
> eg. base table block has column COUNTRY.
> another table has a link between COUNTRY and CONTINENT.
>
> In the above case I would wish to order the base table block in order of
> CONTINENT,COUNTRY so that the COUNTRY in the base table block would be in
> order of CONTINENT.
>
> All help appreciated,
> Paul.

A "standard" approach would be to write a function, that returns continent, based
on the PK of country. You can order by on a function. The base block query would be (on top of my head), assuming a is the PK field and your function is get_continent:
  select a, b, country
  from country_codes
  where ...
  order by get_continent(a), country

--
Met vriendelijke groet/kind regards,

Frank van Bortel
Technical consultant Oracle

Work:                                Home:
V&L Informatica BV                   Hunzestraat 4
Palatijn 3, 7521 PN Enschede         7555 WB Hengelo
PoBox 545, 7500 AM Enschede          (31)074-2425046
053-4341500