Re: Oracle interMedia as a Web Search Solution?

From: <mlecza_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 17:24:32 GMT

[Quoted] Thanx for your reply.

[Quoted] My query look like this:

SELECT END_DATE, HEADING, ITEMNUMBER,BID, START_BID FROM item_search WHERE contains(HEADING,'bean%',1) >0 or contains(DESCRIPTION,'bean%',2)
>0 order by end_date, itemnumber

[Quoted] The SORT_AREA_SIZE was set to 65536 - I doubled it and the performance [Quoted] is exactly the same.

If you have any other suggestions - I'm listening.

Thanx again!

In article <3805ddc9.4021322_at_newshost.us.oracle.com>,   jkallman_at_us.oracle.com wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 1999 17:24:41 GMT, mlecza_at_my-deja.com wrote:
>
> >Has any one used Oracle interMedia as a search engine for a website?
> >
> >We started playing around with it. I loaded up a table with 15,000
> >records and started messing with queries - It performed great until I
> >started adding ORDER BY to the query.
> >
> >My fear is that is will just not be fast enough to handle hundreds of
> >thousands of items with the performace we are looking for.
> >
> >I am having trouble finding any kind of reviews (other than Oracle's
> >reviews) on the product.
> >
> >FYI - We have Oracle 8i runing on a Sun Ultra 10 with 500MB RAM
>
> What are you ordering by? Is it by the SCORE operator or some other
> column? What is your database parameter SORT_AREA_SIZE set to?
>
> If your interMedia Text query is performing very fast, and your sort
> operation is slow, it may have nothing to do with interMedia Text.
>

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Before you buy.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Joel
>
> Joel R. Kallman
> Oracle Service Industries
> Columbus, OH http://govt.us.oracle.com
> jkallman_at_us.oracle.com http://www.oracle.com
>
> ----
> The statements and opinions expressed here are my own
> and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Oct 14 1999 - 19:24:32 CEST

Original text of this message