Re: SQL*Forms 3 and Oracle 7.3.4

From: Zarko Supicic <Zarko.Supicic_at_village.uunet.lu>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 01:41:07 +0200

You cannot install Forms3 "over" RDBMS v7.3.4. The latest version supporting Forms3 is v7.2.3 if my memory is right.

So, you have to install Forms3 along with the mininum of required supporting packages, as well as SQL*Net, into a separate ORACLE_HOME, _not_ into the same one holding 7.3.4.

Provided your data is in a 7.3.4 database, you can locally loop from Forms3 in say 7.2.3 home to a database instance in 7.3.4 home, by setting the TWO_TASK variable to a service alias pointing to 7.3.4 instance. In this case, ORACLE_SID must not be set in the 7.2.3 environment.

Environments have to be setup separately and correctly for both homes.

You would of course need a listener for 7.3.4 environment and a well-configured SQL*Net v2 (sqlnet.ora + tnsnames.ora) for 7.2.3 environment.

This is the only way to accomplish some sort of Y2K "compliance" for Forms3 apps. still running, if there can be any compliance at all with Oracle desupporting Forms3.

Hope this helps, regards.

p.s. really nice e-mail nickname, by the way....?!