Re: Performance Issue

From: <michael_bialik_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 1999/10/11

Hi.

 EXPORT your tables with COMPRESS=Y, DROP them  and either IMPORT back or CREATE them with much bigger  INITIAL extent and then IMPORT with IGNORE=Y to get  rid of EXTENTS.
 You have to define INITIAL extent size about :

  EVTAUG - 100M
  ESDATA - 250M
  EVTMSG - 140M

 I think it will allow for some growth.
 I usually define NEXT as 25-40% of INITIAL and setting   PCTINCREASE to 0.

 I don't think that it will solve your performance problem,  but it will help a bit.
 In my opinion you have application ( badly written SQL )  problem.
 Check you V$SQLAREA :
 SELECT va.*, buffer_gets/executions avg_buff_gets  FROM v$sqlarea
 WHERE executions > 1
 ORDER BY buffer_gets/executions desc;  It will show you most offensive SQL statements first.

 Check that you tablespaces are on different disks/controllers.

 HTH. Michael.

In article <3801F953.C8CD2010_at_abbnm.com>, [Quoted]   Tapan Trivedi <tapan.trivedi_at_abbnm.com> wrote:
> --------------ECF3C68DB6AA7FA1D55461D6
>
> Hi Guys,
> I have a client who is screaming of a performance problem associated
> with a particular functionality. All the tables for that functionality
> are in a single tablespace. All the indexes in a different tablespace.
> All the tables for that functionality look ok except for one ESDATA.
> This is the main table which is the most used which has a next extent
 of
> close to 50m. The average next extent for all the objects is around
 2m.
> Is there something I can do towards this. The table has around 5.7
> million rows and about 19000 chained rows. What can I do about the
 same
> ? I am concerned as this is a replicated environment and anything
 that I
> do has to go over to the next side. Any
 suggestions,comments,experiences
> are welcome.
>
> Thank you.
> Tapan H Trivedi
>
> SQL> select
> SEGMENT_NAME,BYTES,EXTENTS,INITIAL_EXTENT,NEXT_EXTENT,MIN_EXTENTS
> 2 from dba_segments where extents > 20;
>
> SEGMENT_NAME BYTES EXTENTS INITIAL_EXTENT NEXT_EXTENT
> MIN_EXTENTS
> -------------------- ---------- ---------- -------------- -----------
> -----------
> EVTAUG 75581440 37 10240
> 2097152 1
> ESDATA 195174400 69 2097152
> 52428800 1
> EVTMSG 100771840 49 10240
> 2099200 1
> --------------ECF3C68DB6AA7FA1D55461D6
>
> begin:vcard
> n:Trivedi;Tapan
> tel;pager:281 262 5866
> tel;home:713 218 8133
> tel;work:281 274 5193
> x-mozilla-html:FALSE
> version:2.1
> email;internet:tapan.trivedi_at_abbnm.com
> fn:Tapan Trivedi
> end:vcard
>
> --------------ECF3C68DB6AA7FA1D55461D6--

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Oct 11 1999 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message