Re: Wishing to avoid desktop installs - please help

From: Frank van Bortel <f.van.bortel_at_vnl.nl>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 09:23:25 -0700

"Kirk W. Conrad" wrote:

> We are getting Developer 2000, rel 2.0 with our Oracle 8.0 acquisition.
> Is there any way to distribute reports and forms without visiting destops
> after the client Net8 is installed? Is there a forms server or reports
> server product (3-tier type configuration) that we could use?

Yes, 3-tier architecture is supported, but requires a webserver. You're looking a a completely different implementation then.

> Or can everything needed be put on a file server (Novell)?

Yes, it can. However, required support and system support files need to be installed at every PC. Oracle Installer has an option to do that, it even seems to support push or pull mechanisms for updates. Check out your installer doc.

> I've been told that report and form specifications could be stored in
> the database.

Hmmm. Wouldn't do that in a production environment, due to performance constraints. You would save the uncompiled versions.

> Can compiled programs be stored there too?

Are you referring to fmx (compiled forms), dos executables, or things like PL/SQL? Answers are No, No, Yes

> Basically, anything that would keep us from wearing out our sneakers
> would help.
>
> Thanks.
> Kirk

Again, check out the installer. If you are in C/S env (Forms running on Win), I would go for local installations of the Developer Runtime environment. Pro: speed, Con: (disk) size
If memory and disk is not a problem, I'd also install (again, from a central point) the compiled reports and forms in each client. No network traffic while starting up things. Pro's and con's as above. It is however possible to run it all from a file server. Make sure to set working directory in windows to a local disk, as temporary files need not be created via the network on the fileserver.

You would have to go by every client once, tho, to get the basic things installed (unless you have smart people, who can be trusted to bring such an installation to a good end... ;-))

--
Met vriendelijke groet/kind regards,

Frank van Bortel
Technical consultant Oracle

Work:                                Home:
V&L Informatica BV                   Hunzestraat 4
Palatijn 3, 7521 PN Enschede         7555 WB Hengelo
PoBox 545, 7500 AM Enschede          (31)074-2425046
053-4341500