Re: cannot resize a tablespace

From: Chetan Wagle <chetanw_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:49:23 +0530

Yes. You can reclaim unused sapce froma tablespace as follows:

Assume that the tablespace is named TS1 and is composed of only one file '/home/oracle/ts1.dbf' sized at 500MB. using some utility, you are aware that only about 40 MB is being used. All that u gotta do is login as internal and fire this command:

SVRMGR> alter database datafile '/home/oracle/ts1.dbf' resize 50M;

and voila !!, the file shrinks to 50M thus bringing the tablespace size also down. Note that u cannot resiz to less than the existing data-size ie in above case, u cannot make it 25 MB since it already has 40 MB of data.

HTH,
Chetan
Bangalore, India