OAS 4.0.8 + Apache: Is DSO the ONLY answer to this riddle?

From: Bruce W. Hoylman <bhoylma_at_uswest.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 13:18:20 -0600

Here's the scene:

This pertains to the latest release of the Oracle Application Server (OAS) v4.0.8 and the integration of an Apache server as a "listener". This release of OAS supports 1.3.6+ of Apache (finally), but Oracle delivered the integration module 'ows_module' as a DSO contained in a shared library 'ndwfapd.so'. They also require the linking of an additional shared library 'libapadp.so'. Anyway, I already use Apache/modperl heavilly in my environment, and certainly do NOT want to cold start using this new addition to Apache, namely DSO.

I have two questions:

1.) Can I load 'ows_module' without having to compile the entire Apache httpd as a DSO? I do not want to do this given the flaky nature of a DSO setup, but I really need this module available.

2.) If I must compile Apache as a DSO, does every module need to be a DSO also, or can I just load 'ows_module' as a DSO, leaving the rest of the Apache environment as-is? Obviously I still am doing my homework on the ramifications of compiling Apache as a DSO.

Besides, when stepping through the APACI configuration of Apache with 'DSO=1', it complained saying my setup would most likely cause core dumps (Solaris 2.6, perl 5.005_03). It suggested either NOT using DSO, upgrading perl to 5.005_56+, or configuring perl for 'usemymaloc', all suggestions I would rather not have to make good on at this point.

So, just fishing for clues and directions.

Thanks for your time.

Peace. Received on Tue Sep 21 1999 - 21:18:20 CEST

Original text of this message