Re: Transferring LONG RAW from TAB1 to TAB2

From: Ms. D.H. Harvey <qq45_at_liverpool.ac.uk>
Date: 21 Sep 1999 15:58:49 GMT

markp7832_at_my-deja.com wrote:
: In article <37E654BC.57470EF9_at_theleme.com>,
: Yann Chevriaux <chevriaux_at_theleme.com> wrote:
: > Many thanks: it works ... until 32K !
: >
: > I've just learned that in PL/SQL, long variables can't execed 32K !
: > As the documents users want to store are often over 50K large, I must
: find
: > another solution.
: >
: > Yann.
: >
: > michael_bialik_at_my-deja.com a écrit :
: >
: > > In article <37E10FD1.F00D0715_at_theleme.com>,
: > > Yann Chevriaux <chevriaux_at_theleme.com> wrote:
: > > > I would to know how to copy a LONG RAW column from a table to
: another.
: > > >
: > > > The following based function failed with:
: > > > ORA-00997: illegal use of LONG datatype
: > > >
: > > > function ArchiveRawData(dataId in number)
: > > > return number
: > > > is
: > > > newArcId number;
: > > > begin
: > > > newArcId := NewId; -- NewId is a based function that return an
: UID
: > > >
: > > > insert into rawArchive (id, rawdata)
: > > > select newArcId, rawdata
: > > > from rawCurrent
: > > > where id = dataId;
: > > >
: > > > return newArcId;
: > > >
: > > > end;
: > > >
: > > > I thought it could be a PL/SQL limitation but even with a simple
: SQL
: > > > statement it fail as well.
: > > >
: > > > Configuration: NTServer; Oracle 7.3.2
: > > >
: > > > Please help !!!
: > >
: > > >
: > > >
: > >
: > > Use PL/SQL instead :
: > >
: > > function ArchiveRawData(dataId in number)
: > > return number
: > > is
: > > newArcId number;
: > > newData rawCurrent.rawdata%TYPE;
: > > begin
: > > newArcId := NewId; -- NewId is a based function that return an
: UID
: > >
: > > select rawdata into newData from rawCurrent
: > > where id = dataId;
: > >
: > > insert into rawArchive (id, rawdata) values(newArcId,newData);
: > >
: > > return newArcId;
: > >
: > > end;
: > >
: > > Good luck. Michael.
: > >
: If you are version 8, look at using the LOB data types and the dbms_lob
: package. The package provides piece-wise fetching so you can grab or
: insert a chunck at a time.

: If you are 7.3, Thomas Kyte of Oracle has posted several times in the
: past about how to do piece-wise fetching via pl/sql. Try the newsgroup
: archives.

: --
: Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
: you follow so follow your own advice --

: Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
: Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

Where are the newsgroup archives please? Need urgent help before am driven mad. All I want to do is look at the contents of a long raw!!!!

TIA Helen Received on Tue Sep 21 1999 - 17:58:49 CEST

Original text of this message