Memory loss with JDBC and PreparedStatements

From: Rob Dickinson <robd_at_perspecta.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 16:11:55 -0700

[Quoted] We're using Oracles 8.0.3 "thin" JDBC driver and are seeing serious memory loss when we use PreparedStatements in our system.

Basically, every time we execute a PreparedStatement query, JDBC gobbles up 20,000 DbItem objects and around 2M of Java heap space. We can't seem to find any way to reclaim that memory, even though we close the resulting ResultSet. We've been told we can close the PreparedStatement, but that would defeat the purpose.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Is there any known workaround for this?

Oracle tech support told us that the 8.0.3 server and driver were bad, and to upgrade to 8.0.4. I'm suspicious if this will help on this problem.
Does anyone have any idea if these could be related.

Thanks for any information.

Rob Dickinson
Perspecta, Inc.
robd_at_perspecta.com
415-437-4164 Received on Tue Sep 21 1999 - 01:11:55 CEST

Original text of this message