Newbie Oracle User - What client drivers do I need?

From: <huntres_at_ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 22:20:29 -0400

[Quoted] Hi everyone,

    I am a brand new Oracle developer...in fact, I'm not one at all yet...I [Quoted] have been using Sybase ASE for about a year now on HP-UX, linux, and NT systems, but a new project has come along where we were asked to remotely query an Oracle 7 database from an NT client. I said, "that will be no problem, just make me an account and tell me the login info". I knew that [Quoted] Microsoft Visual C came with an Oracle ODBC driver, but I had never tried to [Quoted] set it up.

    Well, I can see now that I need some sort of client program from Oracle....but I have no idea what to get from their free download area. First I tried to get the ODBC and JDBC drivers, but they seem to require the [Quoted] "Oracle Universal Installer" which I cannot find (do I *really* need to download the entire server package (200+ meg) to get that?). Instead of that I tried the Oracle8 Client 8.0.4 (only 84 meg) but that would not install...(setup says a file was missing....I downloaded 3 times, same thing)

    Long story short....What do I need to download and install so that I can [Quoted] configure a Windows ODBC Data Source to connect to a remote Oracle 7 database via tcp/ip?

Thanks in advance,

Gary Huntress

p.s. Ordinarily I would just contact the DBA of the oracle database...but she is away for a week :( Received on Sat Sep 18 1999 - 04:20:29 CEST

Original text of this message