Re: Report output to PDF

From: Loyal Barber <lbarber_at_nospam.directlink.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 07:29:38 -0500

Two choices: 1. look for patches on ftp://oracle-ftp.oracle.com or 2. set up the DESFORMAT and
file to go straight to PDF. I have done exactly what you are suggesting. You need to be aware
of a couple of things:
1. On the machine where you are running the report, the environment variable PRINTER must be
set. On a windows machine this should not be a problem since you likely have a default printer
set. On a Unix machine, the environment variable has to be set to a legitimate queue. Yes, I know
that PDF is independent of of printer but this jewel is still in the reports code from before pdf and
BTW still exists in Reports 6.
2. Reports has to reshow the parameter form since it will actually rerun the report from scrap
INTERNALLY SETTING DESFORMAT and file. I know it is stupid that they coded it that way, but that is what they did.

It would be nice if the folks working on Reports would fix these two "features" but I don't think
it is likely since they have been around for some many versions now.