SET TIMING ON

From: Martin Douglas <Martin.Douglas_at_Boeing.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 13:27:02 GMT

Puzzled in Seattle:

In SQL*Worksheet, I turned on my timing to clock a simple query and got some unexpected results. I clocked it at 0.39 (Elapsed) 0.22 (CPU) the first time. Then I kept rerunning the thing by pressing F5, always waiting for it to finish first. I expected to have the time be stable around 0.40 or so. But guess what! With each rerun, the damn thing kept rising by about 0.03 seconds. At around 0.8 seconds I thought it would not be possible to go any higher,... but it kept going up with each rerun. After another 30 reruns, I was up around 2.23 seconds!!! The table is not changing, I'm the only one on the database, and I'm the only one on the machine hosting the database. So what the #^$% is going on here??? Does this mean that if some application processed a query a couple of thousand times, that it would start taking hours for it to come back with 20 out of 60 records from a table? Drats!

Help? Received on Wed Sep 15 1999 - 15:27:02 CEST

Original text of this message