RPC portmapper broken

From: Andy Johnson <andyj_at_accesscom.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 19:57:27 -0500

I recently recompiled a kernel to increase the process and file limits in preparation for installing Oracle Application Server 4.0.7, and everything seems to work ok, except that the RPC portmapper gives the following error when started:
     Starting RPC portmap daemon
     Cannot register service: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Bad
     file descriptor
     unable to register (UGIDPROG, UGIDVERS, UDP)

 Here is what the README says I need to do:

     Linux Kernel limits

     Since OAS 4.0.7 is extensively multi-threaded and each thread
     appears as a seperate process on Linux, please ensure that the
     process limit per user is atleast 512. ('ulimit -a' would give
     information on these limits). If not, a kernel rebuild is
     required. The following variables may need to modified before
     rebuilding the kernel :

/usr/include/linux/fs.h : NR_OPEN, NR_FILE, NR_INODE

/usr/include/linux/limits.h : NR_OPEN, OPEN_MAX

/usr/include/linux/posix_types.h : FD_SETSIZE

/usr/include/linux/tasks.h : NR_TASK

I've double checked all the files to be sure I got them all. Does anyone know of any others that I may need to change? BTW, I quadrupled the original numbers, and I'm using SuSE 6.1 w/kernel 2.2.7. When I get this fixed I can reformat the NT box at work running OAS and actually get IT support behind me. Then its on to Oracle 8i for Linux, but I'm waiting on the Parallel Server (clustered) edition.

Thanks

Andy Johnson Received on Sat Sep 11 1999 - 02:57:27 CEST

Original text of this message