Re: Storing Word Files on DB

From: Michael Stelly <m_stelly_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:18:51 GMT

In article <7r9n29$d0j$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   shmurphy_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> In article <37D82AF4.B7F8F85_at_vossnet.co.uk>,
> Mark Gumbs <mgumbs_at_vossnet.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Our client requiers the functionality of storing word files on the
> > database side.
> > Which oracle packages, if any, allows us to do this. I think BLOBs
> may
> > play a part somewhere.
> >
> > Mark
> >

> Mark, I'm doing exactly this at my client's site. However, I'm using a
> Visual Basic front end, Oracle 8.0 database, and Microsoft ODBC
drivers.
> I'm saving the document data as LONG_RAW (binary) and letting Word
> convert it back when it's reloaded later. If you're using Oracle's
> drivers, you'd probably use CLOB. I'd be happy to e-mail you some
code.
> E-mail me at shmurphy_at_wfubmc.edu tomorrow (9/10/99) if interested
> [although not sure of your time zone difference].
> -Murf

I think that Mark's first assumption is correct. Word files are stored in binary format, so I would use a BLOB vs. CLOB. My understanding is that CLOBS are used for very large (4gb) character files. If you can reference Feuerstein's PL/SQL Programming book, he gives a detailed explanation about the use of large objects vs. LONG's or RAW's.

Good luck,

--
Michael Stelly
m_stelly_at_my-deja.com