Running SQL*Loader and other scripts on clients is frustrating

From: John Vernes <vernes.j_at_consunet.nl>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 19:12:49 +0200

Hello,

we have an NT environement and have users who want to execute programs locally. The problem, which then occurs, is that all data is pumped over the network to the client and then backwards to the server, where it is processed.
This REALLY STRESSES the network and the maximum performance is never reached, because this can only be done by executing the program (sqlload, sqlplus, exp, imp) on the server (like in a UNIX environement). But we have users, who want to follow the progress of the applications / scripts
on the client.

I know we are are NOT THE ONLY ONE facing these problems, so I hope there is someone out there willing to share their solutions with me.

Thanks in advance

-John

PS: Of course I can think of solutions, like a command scheduler, working through DLL's (external procedures), starting the program directly on the server,
but I just would like to know how you people solve these issues. Received on Wed Sep 08 1999 - 19:12:49 CEST

Original text of this message