Re: SQL*Loader length field limit

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 09:23:42 -0400

A copy of this was sent to "Matteo Furia" <dolenar_at_tin.it> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 7 Sep 1999 11:35:27 +0200, you wrote:

>I use SQL*Loader for load data from a delimited, free-format ASCII file. But
>record whit field long more than 250 character are discarded. Have
>SQL*Loader limit in field length?
>
>Matteo Furia

for fields that will be longer then 250 bytes, use the char(N) datatype to specify the maximum length that field will be.

for example, in the following deptno and loc are 250 bytes or less while dname could be upto 500 bytes:

LOAD DATA
INFILE *
INTO TABLE dept
REPLACE
FIELDS TERMINATED BY '|'
(
deptno
,dname char(500)
,loc
)
BEGINDATA

10|ACCOUNTING|NEW YORK
20|RESEARCH|DALLAS
30|SALES|CHICAGO
40|OPERATIONS|BOSTON

--
See http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...
Current article is "Part I of V, Autonomous Transactions" updated June 21'st