Re: Table (Storage clause)

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 16:34:58 +0800

Chris G. wrote:

> Help! In need of some real examples of numbers that work for table
> creation.
>
> 600 M tablespace data:
> eg) what should init, next, minext, maxext be for a big table (200,000+
> rows)?
> And for a small table (100 rows)?
> Please provide examples cuz I just don't see the relationship between
> these values yet.

Some good documentation to assist you in:

Oracle Administration Guide
Server Concepts Guide
www.europa.com/~orapub

The last of these has several good whitepapers on the topic...

As a (very) quick answer, you want to ensure the following:

  1. your tablespace wont fill up unexpectedly (choose the 600M part well)
  2. your table won't run out of extents (choose initial to be somewhere in the vicinity of the expected size of the table)
  3. your table won't have a ridiculous number of extents (choose NEXT to be the same size as INITIAL)
  4. that as this table (and others in the same tablespace) grow and/or shrink and/or get dropped, you don't end up with fragmented holes in your tablespace that cannot be field (choose the same size for extents for similarly sized objects)

If someone tells you that you have to have your table in a single extent, then they're misinformed

To answer how big will your table will be a (very very) quick answer is how big do think each row will be in bytes times the number of rows you expect.

Cheers

Connor McDonald
"These views mine, no-one elses etc etc"
connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue."