Re: OAS 4.0.7/Oracle 8i/Sol 2.7 connectivity problems

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 09:50:25 -0400

[Quoted] A copy of this was sent to Henry Katz <hkatz_at_iscs-i.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sun, 05 Sep 1999 09:45:55 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Is OAS 4.0.7 supported on 8i? I am unable to get connectivity from OAS
>4.0.7 to 8i using any connect string that
>works for me with sqlplus on 8i. My installation consists of 2 separate
>non-OFA trees using different user ids
>both belonging to dba. I can construct a DAD using the ORACLE_SID but
>not using my connect string.
>I've tried setting TNS_ADMIN to point to the admin directory of the 8i
>tree but this doesn't work unless
>I point ORACLE_HOME to 8i as well and not to OAS 4.0.7. I am thus unable
>to install the PL/SQL toolkit.
>Has anyone got this working?

when configuring the DAD, the ORACLE_HOME should be the oracle home of OAS4.x -- not 8i.

[Quoted] you need to setup the tnsnames.ora file in the OAS4 network/admin directory with the tns entry for the 8i instance. before using the gui tool to configure a DAD, you can test the setup using the OAS4's svrmgrl (use the OAS4's svrmgrl, you'll get a warning message on startup since OAS4 doesn't have a local database but you will be able to:

SVRMGR> connect scott/tiger_at_oracle8idatabase

to test the setup.

once that is going, you will be able to setup the DAD using the OAS4 oracle home and the tns string you just setup.

--
See http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...
[Quoted] Current article is "Part I of V, Autonomous Transactions" updated June 21'st