Re: Deployable with Developer 2000 ver 2.1

From: Jim West <Jim.West_at_mci.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 14:42:23 GMT

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 08:51:24 -0500, <e.schrauth_at_smmj.com> wrote:

>I was wondering if anyone knew of an easy way to deploy a form with Dev2k
>2.1. I have read the deploy document in the deploy directory, but it just
>seems like a lot of effort to just want to run a form. Is there an easier
>way such as just copying the files needed to a pathed directory and just
>executing the runform, or is the deploy with oracle installer the only way?
>Thanks.

  It is certainly the preferred method. Documentation lacks regarding the PRD, INS, etc files though. I managed to muck with the "example" to get my Forms app to play ball here.

  Before this though, I did installs by creating a zip file with just the files necessary. This wasn't an easy task...time consuming.

  I started by finding a PC that had NO Oracle installed. Installed just the components (Forms Runtime) I needed.

  I then zipped up the ORAWIN95 directory, which contained a subdirectory I created for my Forms app, and moved this to yet another PC.

  I then ran REGEDIT on the first PC and exported the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE registry entry. I copied this file to the second PC and "ran" this file so that the Registry would be updated.

  I ran SQL*Net Easy config, and when it complained about certain DLLs needed, I went to the first PC, found that file, made a note of its location, copied it to the second PC and then repeated this process until it ran with no problems.

  Then it was off to the Forms app...same thing as the SQL*Net config.

  When all was done, I created a new zip file containing all files, including those DLLs found in WINDOWS\SYSTEM and that was my kit. Note that I also included the registry key file as well as the START-PROGRAMS->Oracle... shortcuts, including the shortcut I created for my Forms app.

  Now...there are some issues with this method (which is why I finally went the way of the Oracle Installer). If you deploy the "kit" to a disk other than where it was initially installed on the first PC (i.e. C:\) then you have to modify the registry entries to point to the different drive...time consuming and error prone.

  The next issue to worry about is whether the PC to which you are deploying your "kit" already has Oracle installed. If it does, this method will complete wipe out the current Oracle config info, as well as items like the SQL*Net entries. Primarily because you replace the NLS files (providing you deploy to the same directory tree) and because you'll replace the Registry entries.

  I'm still experimenting with Oracle Installer...there are still a couple of items I would like it to do...like being able to specify the "Start In" path on the shortcut entry Oracle Installer creates in the Start-Programs group.

  Bottom line, it's best to use the Oracle Installer. Just wish there was better/more documentation.

  Good luck. Received on Thu Sep 02 1999 - 16:42:23 CEST

Original text of this message