Referencing multiple workstation printer definitions on NT4.0

From: SDF <sdfergus_at_esper.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 15:31:17 GMT

I'm having a very BIG problem that is resulting from upgrading all of our previous Win95 workstations over to NT 4.0.

To summarize, our current system requires each workstation to have 4 distinct printer definitions setup. For example:

  prt1:  landscape
  prt2:  portrait
  prt3:  landscape duplex
  prt4:  portrait duplex

Each of the reports (REPORTS25) in our system would have one of the above names defined in the DESNAME parameter to tell it how/where to print.

The problem is that when you set up a printer in NT, it wants to append the computer name onto the end of the printer name, thus camouflaging it from the report. Since I'm dealing with 100s of reports, this is becoming quite the obstacle.

Can anyone think of a workaround (preferably on the NT side)?

Thanks in advance!! Received on Mon Aug 30 1999 - 17:31:17 CEST

Original text of this message