Re: Advantages & Disadvantages for upgrading Designer2000

From: Simon Hedges <shedges_at_hhhh.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 12:08:20 +0100

andreas blumer <ablumer_at_acm.com> wrote in message news:37CA57FE.DAE03AC5_at_acm.com...
> Hello,
>
> in our enterprise we have the Version 1.3.2 of Designer 2000 and are
> thinking
> about upgrading it to the Version 2.1.2.
>
> What are the reasons & advantages for changing to the higer version and
> what
> are the possible dangers and problems encountered ?
>
> Thank you very much for any information
> - Andreas Blumer

If you have a choice, I would recommend going to version 6 of Designer. It's almost identical to 2.1.2, but I gather has some bugs fixed (I don't know which ones, though).

We upgraded from 1.3.2, and it went pretty smoothly, 2.1.2 is definitely slower than 1.3.2, and it does more. There are a few irritating changes

(1) all DB Objects now have to be owned
by a DB user), but on the whole it's good news and a major improvement.

(2) The DB generator generates things that you haven't asked for, because it thinks that you should have them.

(3) Any dense Data Diagrams will need reworking, as the extra info on each Table means that the tables won't fit into as a small a space on the diagram.

The Forms/Reports generators have been updated, and you'll need to rework your templates/reference forms/ libraries if you want to make the most of the new features (e.g. Object Libraries). I would recommend sending at least one person on the upgrade course if you can.

On the whole, though, it's good news - the new version 2.1.2/6.0 is much better than the old as regards functionality and user interface aspects. And they generate Forms 5/Reports 3 or Forms 6/Reports 6 respectively.

Simon Hedges
Gloucester
UK Received on Mon Aug 30 1999 - 13:08:20 CEST

Original text of this message