HELP sorting a table before hierarchical query

From: BPoulin <bpoulin_at_ualberta.ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 11:13:32 -0600

[Quoted] [Quoted] Is there any way I can sort a table (short of completely recreating [Quoted] it,unless there is a -good- way of automating that) so that a hierarchical query will retrieve the information in alphabetical order (within each subgroup of the hierarchy)?

The query will be

select lpad('&nbsp',5*(level-1))||current_concept,parent_concept from tables.concept_hierarchy
start with parent_concept='Concepts'
connect by prior current_concept=parent_concept;

This worked fine and was easy to read when I created the table using 'create [Quoted] [Quoted] ... as select ... order by' but after any insertions into the structure the ordering is lost. I've tried to copy all the records to another table, sorting them as I go, and then copying them back(again with 'order by') but the order is still lost. I've tried this in SQL*PLUS and with a cursor in a procedure. I've also tried using a view to sort the records before doing the [Quoted] hierarchical query but this is not supported.

[Quoted] The readability of the results of this query is crucial so I have to do this [Quoted] [Quoted] somehow. I'm hoping I'm not going to have to recreate the table every time I [Quoted] insert something. This will be output to a web page.

Thanks in advance. Received on Tue Aug 24 1999 - 19:13:32 CEST

Original text of this message