Re: 8i - Designer - Developer Installation

From: Gary E. Grant <ggrant_at_crl.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 01:25:33 -0700

I have Des2k/Dev2k & Oracle8i (8.1.5) running on one machine (NT) The thing that you MUST do is have separate ORACLE_HOME's I Use D:\orant as the ORACLE_HOME for Designer/2000 * Dev2k. I use d:\orant8i for the ORACLE_HOME for 8i.

The interesting part of this exercise is to make sure that you have two separate TNSNAMES.ORA files. and you have TNSNAMES environment var set appropriately. If this is a UNIX box you can set the TWO_TASK Environment variable to point to the 8i Server Thus Dev2k & Des2k talk OCI to the 8i server by the TCP stack.

You also should set the registry string to force Des2k to use Oracle 8 communication tools as opposed to the Oracle 7 tools.

--

Always glad to be of service,

Gary :-)

"There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
  conduct or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead
  in the introduction of a new order of  things."

 --- Niccollo Machiavelli, The Prince, 1513