Re: Oracle Designer vs Visual Basic 6

From: Simon Hedges <shedges_at_hhhh.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 19:26:04 +0100

> CCS <c.storm_at_kpn.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
> 7ph54m$g63$1_at_hdxl22.telecom.ptt.nl...
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > I would like you all with the appropraite knowledge to please take some
> time
> > on this question:
> >
> > A project need to be converter from Access to Oracle.
> >
> > Question: What are the pro's /contra's on speed, programmability,
> > performance etc on Visual Basic 6 versus Oracle Designer 2000?
> >
> > In all: What is the best choice on this when you concider there is a 200
> > concurrent usercount from 6 different locations on 1 oracle database
where
> > 90% of the transactions is retrieval and 10% is inserting and updating
> > All thooughts are welcome.
> >

> > Grtz,
> > Charles Storm.

If you have a lot of clients, somethig that you should be aware of is that Developer is not a fully executable tool at runtime. This means that if you do not deliver Developer (i.e. Oracle Forms/Oracle Reports/ Oracle Graphics) via the Web, you will find that each PC will need to have access to 30Mb upwards of runtime software before you even start loading the code modules themselves. the lack of fully compiled code means that when you get a new version of Developer, you have to recompile every single module. This problem will not be so bad if you are distributing Developer via the Web - in that case the runtime code will nearly all run on the server rather than the client. An alternative to Web distribution is to load the software on a remote drive, but this can case network jams (each time you open Forms, about 11 Mb of software gets downloaded from the server to the PC).

[Quoted] Oracle Developer is a good tool, but it is not fully object oriented, it really likes to do things the way that it wants to (and trying to adapt this can cause masses of extra code), and it's probably at the peak of its overall lifecycle now. If you are going to Oracle for the first time,
you may be best going to C++, VB or some of the Oracle purpose- designed web tools. If your developers are used to Access Basic, then VB may be the best bet.

Whichever solution you go for, try to build a thinnish client, and put the heavy duty data manipulation stuff into Procedures, Packages and Functions on the Database. This uses the power of the server and reduces network traffic.

Simon Hedges
Gloucester
UK Received on Sun Aug 22 1999 - 20:26:04 CEST

Original text of this message