Re: Monitoring databases

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 17:13:56 +0800

Rudi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to know how most of you monitor your databases.
> Do you use any special tools (like I-Watch from Quest) or do most
> of you check once in a while using home-made scripts.
>
> Do you have some kind of automated way with a scheduler?
> What is used most?
>
> The tool from Quest is really nice but for me very expensive. What
> other good ways do you use to monitor your database?
>
> Or are much databases just not monitored?
>
> Rudi.

I think many people have a combination of both...

We used to have Patrol, but we found we spent most of the time porting our home grown scripts into it so in the end we did away with it...

For scheduling within the database, we just used dbms_job. For scheduling outside the database, cron was sufficient.

CHeers

Connor McDonald
"These views mine, no-one elses etc etc"
connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue."