Re: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

From: Mike Tarrani <mtarrani_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 00:48:26 -0700

TNS = Transparent Network Substrate. In a nutshell it is Oracle's method of providing seamless and transparent connectivity to an Oracle database (or databases). TNS is well documented, but you can get books devoted solely to TNS and other Oracle networking components: Oracle Networking, Oracle Press (Toledo is the author) is an inexpensive (~$35.00) reference on the subject. You need TNS in order for your client's to "talk" to the database listener.