Re: URGENT! How to connect to non_Oracle DB in Developer 2000?

From: Dirk Bellemans <Dirk.Bellemans_at_skynet.belgium>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 08:58:28 +0200

AFAIK, Dev2K connects to all databases (one at a time...) for which there exists an ODBC driver. It may do better than that, but I'm quite convinced it can connect to other databases. Just don't ask me how...

And frankly, I don't believe VB comes even near as a replacement to Dev2K.

What I would do in your situation, is to look for a connection wrapper ("middleware") to hide your database-connections from your application. This means using the least common denominator, but I guess you're stuck with that anyway.

--
Dirk Bellemans
Modify email address to reply (use .be instead of .belgium)

TurkBear wrote in message <37b0196a.16479456_at_news.news-ituk.to>...

>"Phillip H" <hzl_at_optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>I am building an application with Developer 2000. The application query
data
>>on Oracle, MS Access, SQL Server and DB2. How many connections can I have
at
>>a single time? Can I connect to those DBs at the same time? And how?
>>
>>If I can have only one connection at a time, how do I connect to
non-Oracle
>>DB?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Phillip
>>

>AFAIK, you cannot....each app has one connection that it uses and even
though
>you can use ODBC to connect to non-Oracle databases, the Oracle Developer
is
>really designed to be used with Oracle databases....
>
>When I need to access multiple databases of different types, I use
VisualBasic