Re: Oracle Reports to Excel?

From: Dirk Bellemans <Dirk.Bellemans_at_skynet.belgium>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 23:25:47 +0200

Krish Mohan wrote in message <37A730A3.9A91E189_at_cisco.com>...
>Hi,
>I am running oracle reports Developer 2000, version 2.1. I need to
>export my reports to excel. I need to create a .csv or a .xls file. Can
>we use OLE with Oracle Reports?

The answer to your first question is yes, if I remember well: you can change the output to file. Of course, I assume that you do not want to do any fancy formatting in a .csv file, not? So, it depends a bit on what you mean with "exporting a report to excel" and "create a .csv file", since a .csv file is not a hard-copy of a report, but rather a dump from a result set.

I don't know for sure about Reports, but at least in Forms 5.0 it is possible to use COM with the package OLE2 (provided by Oracle). With this package (and a thorough knowledge of COM, <sigh>), you are able to create .xls files from Dev2K (as well as pull off many other fancy things). Older versions of Dev2K supported DDE, but unless you are paid per hour and free to spend your time on whatever you feel fit, I wouldn't use DDE... Whatever the case may be, it is "impossible" to create .xls files on a system that does not have Excel installed correctly. I add this comment, since it is common to run reports on a dedicated report server.

If however, all you want to do is to incorporate OLE objects in your reports (displayed on screen, f.i.), AFAIK you just use the tool palette to draw such an object. I believe this feature is around for a while. Just check your tool palette.

--
Dirk Bellemans
Modify email address to reply (use .be instead of .belgium)