Re: Estimate query time

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 16:14:19 +0800

Steven Salvemini wrote:

> Any ideas of how the estimate how long a query will take to return
> results,
> so the user can determine whether to run the query.
>
> I would expect that the major factors here are that the User can affect
> the query at runtime, including the ORDER BY columns and the WHERE
> clause.
> Once they set up their query (in Forms 5.0) probably, they want to hit a
> pre-query button which will estimate how long the query will take if
> they really run it.

You could make some assumptions using EXPLAIN plan. It will give you a "rows" count based on your analyzed statistics...Choose an appropriate "rows per second" ratio and you're ready to go...

It'll be rough...but maybe enough

Connor McDonald
"These views mine, no-one elses etc etc"
connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue."