Re: [HELP] How to read Oracle from the Internet?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 12:53:06 +0100

John <jawohl_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:7ot0n4$mc$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...

Snip Background Stuff
> I have to write some methods (an API) so that developers at other
> companies can read our Oracle tables over the Internet without having
> to come to our web site, i.e., other developers could call our database
> and show the results in their web pages.
<snip>
> HAVE ANY OF YOU ACCESSED ORACLE TABLES FROM ACROSS THE INTERNET? HOW?
>
> ANY words of advice will be greatly comforting. Help-help-help-help-
> help! I feel powerless and mal-qualified. If I can just read a sample
> Oracle table over the 'net with some code I will relax. No, I will
> *cream.* I have different ISP's to test stuff out with and an Oracle
> account so I can make sample tables on our server, etc.
>
> *Thanks* everybody, and sorry for the cross-post.

Hi.

You could have some fun with this. Usually connections to a database are made over net8 (or sql*net you can think of both of these as the same for now). This works by having a listener on the server waiting for incoming connections. It listens on a known port usually 1521. When it gets a request for a connection it then picks another port for the actual communication to take place on. This secnd port appears to be picked at random from the free ports. Thus if your server has a firewall or port filtering or some such a net80 connection ain't going to happen. As I understand it this probably means you are going to need an oracle web product for publishing to the web. (I'd really like to be enlightened if this is wrong)

As for development language Pick whatever you are comfortable with, as you say java is a good choice, there is a lot of c stuff around for oracle as well.

Niall
Oracle DBA
Audit Commission UK Received on Fri Aug 13 1999 - 13:53:06 CEST

Original text of this message