Re: Changing width of character mode report

From: Dirk Bellemans <Dirk.Bellemans_at_skynet.belgium>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 18:10:09 +0200

derekchu_at_my-deja.com wrote in message <7mvktn$148$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
>Hi,
>
>I have to change a character mode report from 132 columns to 180
>columns using report designer 2.5. I've tried to change the number of
>columns in the properties sheet of the report. However when I run it,
>the system fails and saying that one of my frame is not totally
>enclosed by the object "BODY".
>
>I have also tried to change the page width from 13.xxx to 19.xxx. This
>time it work but the report generated is shrinked and is different from
>the layout shown in the report designer.

I forgot (really...) which version of Reports I used on my last project, and it wasn't character mode either, but I do recall there are several "things" that enclose your inner frame.

From the top of my head, you've got the *physical* page, the *logical* page, the *main* frame (may have a different name, though) and so on. I figure you made your frame larger (wider, probably) than one (or all) of the enclosing frames. What I did, was to select the inmost frame in the painter, switch to the Object Navigator, pull up the Property window (naming of this thing differs accross versions...) and check the numbers over there.

If that is too complicated, you could start by SHRINKING the inmost frame in order to make a separation between the frame handles (because normally the outer limits coincide), so you can grasp the enclosing frame of the current one. Repeat this until you've got a hold of the outmost frame and then enlarge it. And all the others you can resize (enlarge) one by one. Tedious, but it works.

Have fun!

--
Dirk Bellemans
Modify email address to reply (use .be instead of .belgium)