Re: Oracle 8i implicit Rowid?.....

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 15:26:24 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Derekbr" <393_at_oultons.nb.ca> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Mon, 9 Aug 1999 10:53:28 -0300, you wrote:

>Hello....
>
>Im a young fella having a hard time figuring out how to use the implicit
>rowid that Oracle 8i provides with every row as a explicit rowid in a
>Primary Key column.....
>Please help... im time straped in my present project....

you cannot put psuedo columns such as rowid in a primary key constraint.

if you need to add rowid to your primary key to make it unique -- you do not have a primary key!

what is your requirement, what are you trying to do? have you considered using a sequence to generate a surrogate key since you have no real primary key?

--
See http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...
[Quoted] Current article is "Part I of V, Autonomous Transactions" updated June 21'st

[Quoted] Thomas Kyte                   tkyte_at_us.oracle.com