Re: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 17:33:58 +0800

Thierry Jouin wrote:

> I've installed Oracle 8 Server on Digital Unix, and I tried to connect via
> Sqlplus to the database...
> sqlplus <user>/<password>_at_service_name
> and I get an error :
> ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
> and after, under Sqlplus I can connect to the DB with the same username and
> password...
> Is is a Network problem ?
> I'm new in Oracle DBA...
> Thanks for Help
>
> --
> Thierry Jouin
> Régie Multimédia

If it was a network problem you would get a different error. ORA-1017 means that you are successfully contacting an Oracle instance. Possibly you service name points to the wrong db ??? (ie in tnsnames.ora)

Connor McDonald
"These views mine, no-one elses etc etc"
connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue."