WebDB install trouble

From: Charles Larry <charles_at_donotspam.twcny.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 16:30:11 -0400

I have installed Oracle 8i on machine running Windows NT Server 4.0 SP3. When I try to install WebDB, the installation gets to the point where it asks for the SYS password for the database. Regardless of what I enter, it says that the password is not valid and that I should make sure the database is running.

What database is it trying to connect to? Nothing in the install process up to that point asks about a particular Oracle instance/service such as hostname:1521:dbname.

Also, on a related note, what is required to create an "Oracle Home"? I have installed Oracle 8i on C:\Oracle\HOME1. That made my first Oracle Home. Reading the release notes for WebDB, it said I needed to install WebDB into its own Oracle Home. Well, at the point in the install process that asked for the name of the Oracle Home to install it to, I entered a new name (HomeWebDB) and a new location C:\Oracle\HomeWebDB. Is this all that is meant by installing the program in its own "Oracle Home" or is there something I am missing? For example, do I need to go back and try to install Oracle 8i again in another directory such as C:\Oracle\HOME2. Is that what it means to create an "Oracle Home"?

Thanks,
Charles Received on Tue Aug 03 1999 - 22:30:11 CEST

Original text of this message