Re: Need PL/SQL guru for easy money, long distance

From: Howard Lee Harkness <hlh_nospam_at_excite.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 13:04:11 GMT

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999 05:58:18 GMT, Brian Howard <bh_at_creditwatch-inc.com> wrote:

>pay $20/hour for up to 20 hours a week. That's an easy $1600/month for

Hint: If you were willing to pay going rates, you might get more working software for less total money. For $20/hour, you will be lucky to get a high school graduate who has actually heard of Oracle. This level of 'consultant' will probably take two or three months just coming up to speed on what your application is all about, then spin his wheels for a year or so without actually delivering any working software at all.

For $60 to $70/hr, you might be able to attract someone who could finish your project on time and under budget. And you could be a lot pickier about qualifications, because the going rates would attract the attention of more highly qualified contractors.

But "$20/hr is all you can afford", right? Bet you won't see the light until the money is gone and your project is cancelled.

I've lost count of the number of projects that I've seen fail because management made the assumption that programmers are fungible, and couldn't distinguish between a $17.50/hr programmer and a $100/hr programmer.

BTW, I'm not available. I have a client that wants me to work just about every hour I can stay awake until the end of October. And he's paying me a lot more than $20/hr.

hlh_NOSPAM_at_excite.com is a valid, unmunged address! It is also so full of spam(!) that I don't read it. Received on Fri Jul 30 1999 - 15:04:11 CEST

Original text of this message