Re: Backups: Tape vs. CD-RW?

From: Tony Buckley <Tony.2.Buckley_at_bt.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:53:49 +0100

Well I can only tell you of our experience here in using the Hewlett Packard CD Writer Plus on NT4 Server.

  1. It's slow - very slow. Kit intended for a more professional environment may well be faster but see comment two.
  2. It works by creating a memory buffer and sending to the writer. If the buffer gets emptied, the CD has nothing to write and looses its place corrupting the disk. If the disk is written faster then you run out quicker.
  3. If anything else on the PC is running (especially TSRs such as Virus programs) the CD can become corrupted, possibly because of above..
  4. Even if the disk does not become corrupted, taken to some machines it won't even be recognised as a CD!
  5. Also depends on your environment - CDs have no chance of being corrupted by magfields once written successfully!!!!

Maybe its our setup but we have rejected writing direct to HP CD (only one we have and no budget) because it just wasn't reliable and for DB backups...

Regards,

Tony