OCI for Oracle 8: how can I get the ROWID?

From: Aníbal Cáceres Hernando <anibal_at_transtools.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 08:43:07 +0200

   Hello,

    I'm managing Oracle 8 with the Oracle Call Interface (OCI), but using the old functions of this API, because I'm mantainig a program designed for Oracle 7. I want to get the character values representing the ROWID when I execute an INSERT statement to add a row. In Oracle 7 and earlier releases these values were as follows:

    block.row.file (being block the data block of the data file containing the row, row the row in the data block, and file the database

dile containing the row).

    and this values could be got directly from some of the fields of the

cda_def->rid structure. This has changed in Oracle 8, and the rowid isn't now represented like that. So my question is: how can I construct the character representation of the rowid in Oracle 8 when I insert a new row?, can I obtain it from the cda_def structure, as in Oracle 7?, must I use some other way?

    Thanks a lot for your attention and time.

    Kind regards,

    Anibal.

--
Anibal Caceres Hernando